The Construction Superintendent assumes leadership responsibilities and manages all onsite construction activities while ensuring that the goals and objectives of the project are achieved within the budget and schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all onsite construction activities from beginning to end of project
- Primary interface of coordination between subcontractors, inspectors, architects, and consultants for the project.
- Manages and coordinates performance of subcontractors, suppliers, vendors, and labor to attain maximum productivity
- Assists project manager in maintaining and updating the schedule as well as client communication for daily operations and addressing operational and site issues
- Holds all weekly site meetings that are required on project (Subcontractor coordination, safety, owner, etc.)
- Inspects work to ensure that workmanship conforms to the specification and meets the company’s standards of quality.
- Documents onsite daily activities by use of daily reports and photos in company construction management software
- Ensures all company employees and contractors are adhering to the company safety policies or owner required safety policies per project (whichever is more stringent)
- Maintains an organized job site, including the construction office/trailer
- Ensures all assigned projects are completed on time and assists project manager with project closeout procedures including punch lists and record drawings
- Building and Construction – Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of building or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management principles involved in resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security – Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property and institutions.
- Mechanical – Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics – Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Computers and Electronics – Working knowledge of companies’ computer software, including Bluebeam, Procore, Microsoft Project, Word and Excel.
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking – Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension – Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
- Coordination – Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
- Negotiation – Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Personal Skills - Must be a self-starter, self-motivated, highly organized, effective inter-personal skills including ability to work with multiple personalities on multiple projects at one time
- Problem Sensitivity – The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Deductive Reasoning – The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Oral Expression and Comprehension – The ability to communicate effectively so others will understand as well as the ability to listen and grasp ideas presented through spoken words and sentences. Can effectively present complicated information in an effective manner and respond to questions from user groups and clients.
- Written Expression and Comprehension – The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand as well as the ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Inductive Reasoning – The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Effective time management and logical decision-making ability with the capacity to handle pressure.
- Physical Abilities - Employee is frequently required to sit, talk hear and stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop kneel or crouch. Use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach, lift, balance, carry, push and pull. Must be able to occasionally lift and / or move up to 50 lbs. with frequent lifting and /or carrying objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Personality – Must have outstanding client management and customer service orientation
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception
- Able to adapt to exposure to a variety of weather conditions due to outdoor work environment as well as exposure to high noise levels from construction activities on a jobsite (Field Time)
Minimum Education and/or Experience, Certifications/Licenses required:
- 4-yr college degree preferred but not required
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED)
- Five to ten years related experience in Construction
- Valid Driver’s License
- CPR and 1st Aid Certification Required
Safety/Environmentally/Security Sensitive Position
This position requires that the employee perform or is responsible for performing, primarily or specifically, duties which are directly related to the safe operation or security of a facility or piece of equipment, including a company vehicle driven in/on safety or environmentally sensitive operations and/or property, and which, if not performed properly, could result in a serious safety risk or environmental hazard to an employee, a client, a facility, or the general public. This position may have the responsibility of supervising, managing, or directing either directly or indirectly, the safety sensitive duties of employees who perform such duties shall be considered as occupying a “safety-sensitive position.” This position must be able to fulfill essential job function in a consistent state of alertness and safe manner. Applicants are advised that prior to employment, they must complete a background check and drug test.